". . .stories don't mean anything when you've got no one to tell them to. . ."

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Like blogs through an hourglass


Dear Blog,

The time has come to put away these wanderings down limitless paths of questioning and thought.

In fact, it is time you are used for your intended purpose.

Upon inception, Blog, you were meant as a chronicle of my life as an artist. The plan was to move to Chicago, pursue theatre, and see where these decisions led me. Instead, I found myself in financial chaos, frightened and unsure of the next step, and alone in a hotel room in NYC. So, what does a person do when confronted with this predicament. . .ah yes, jump on a plane and move to Korea.

I do not regret this decision, nor do I regret the blog entries related to the pursuance of this life curve ball. . .Both allowed a year of self-introspection, ridiculous adventures, and exploration away from the world of all things that I knew and understood.. . .a cocooning of sorts. A necessary for an artist. Now, I feel ready to face something that I've only dreamt about and drunkenly discussed with various cohorts.

And so Blog, I am going to pursue the life of a theatre practitioner--grown up way to say actor. Starting today. . .okay, really starting last week. . .but it takes me a while to own up to life choices.

Sincerely and Adoringly
Me.

Now, furry friends that I've set Blog on the right course. . .the first entry of this new blog direction. . .

I am a person who needs a plan. . .a process. . .steps. . .So, I've concocted this list of steps to propel my pursuit forward. (in no particular order)

Step 1: Commit to blogging every week about the process. This is necessary because it keeps me honest, goal oriented, and my sense of humor intact.
Step 2: New headshots--apparently color is the new black. Plus, I had a spot on my face removed. (don't ask)
Step 3: Audition in my home state--I have three this weekend.

***insert side step--known as a tangent in some circles***
(you didn't seriously think this new blog would be tangent-free did you??)

Auditioning is my achilles heal. Some might say, "oh, it's a minute and a half of a monologue. Think of it as a mini performance. Just have fun! After all, you're an actor. . .should be easy." To those people, I say, suck my fat uncle's hairy balls. This is how I see auditioning. . .

You walk into a room full of one to fifty or more people. . .directors, casting agents, interns. All of them have been sitting there tormented by one self-involved actor after another--the over-expressive smiles, high pitched voices--saying their name and age, and then performing different versions of the same characters with no real connection or commitment because they only have a minute and a half. A minute and a half! My body does the most absurd things in the half hour leading up to that minute and a half and during that minute and a half??--well anything goes. My gastrointestinal malfunctions alone should be studied. One time, I got on stage, introduced myself and proceeded to fart, and then burp.

This is my body on audition.

Then my mind. . .One time, right before I went on stage, I became obsessed with the idea that the constellation Orion was possibly no longer there. . .the stars had gone super nova, and we didn't know yet because it is so far away.

This is my brain on audition.

Needless to say, I don't audition well. I plan to fix this with a class--I've found an excellent studio in Chicago, and I am excited to work with them. Until then, however, the poor theatres of this state will have to endure my erratic mind and explosive bodily functions. As will I.

****End Tangent****

Step 4: Move to Chicago -- I feel this is the appropriate location for many reasons. . .1), it's where I was going before Korea, B)I have friends there and third, I've lived in NYC and have no desire to live there again.

Step 5: Get a job in a temp agency in Chicago. . .Working the traditional server/actor lifestyle is also a possibility. . .in fact, any place that gives me money for the least amount of clothing removal will be considered. . .

That's as far as I got with the steps. . .I think that's pretty good.

Finances are always a concern. . .but Korea gave me a financial boost, and I plan to work until the move. I have interviews as a barista in a couple of places already. . .oh, coffee, my one true friend.

So, here is my new path. . .I took the fork in the road--actually, I picked up that fork and stabbed it into the essence of what I really want. I don't know what it will lead to, but isn't it exciting?? Are you ready for this adventure furry friends?? I know I am. . .as I start to hyperventilate in the middle of this coffee shop. . .

Also each new post will come equipped with a song and a picture for your listening and viewing pleasure as well as a means to express my state of mind in a visual and auditory sense. . .(also, I love sharing music with people)

Today's post features. . .

Me. . .on the stage. . .seemingly collapsed and unaware. . .
but that suitcase and how the hand lingers over it. . .well I hope that means I'm ready for something and going somewhere. . .

And appropriately. . .the Black Keys.


And of course, my furry friends. . .your quote:
"The first mistake of art is to assume it's serious." --Lester Bangs.

Be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment