". . .stories don't mean anything when you've got no one to tell them to. . ."

Sunday, April 11, 2010

What the f&%! Have I done?!

There is something about 24 hours of travel time, and the sun being up for the entire journey. It does something to the body and mind, makes it go a little berserk.

It seems strange, but while traveling I don’t put much thought into the where I am going. I research the place, decide what to bring, and then get on a plane. The decision has been made, and so I go. And while traveling to the destination, my only thought is connection flights and so forth. . .so as we made our final descent into South Korea, I began to feel the full weight of my choice. I am living here for a year. I don’t speak the language. I don’t know a soul. I am completely alone and away from everyone I know and love, and not only am I away from them, but I am completely disconnected from them—there is no quick text to say “hi! Thinking about ya!”

Nothing.

Completely Isolated.

I am lost.

It’s like the first day of high school but highly concentrated. I don’t have the right clothes, the right look, or the right words. Everyone instantly knows I don’t belong. As I look out the window of my descending plane, I wish for one thing. . .just let it crash, then I don’t have to go through it. I don’t have to be overwhelmed with fear and insecurity.

I can just die.

Just crash plane.

Crash!!

Realizing a mid-air collision is highly unlikely, I search the ground for clues about my new world. I find myself finding things to comfort me—ooh, they have buildings! Something in common. Ooh! Power cables! Water! Ooh! Grass! This offers a modicum of comfort. The plane inches towards the ground. I must have a look of confusion and nausea on my face because the person sitting next to me seems to ask if I am okay, or they could be asking me to move my head, I don’t know. . .because I don’t speak the language! Idiot! Why oh why am I here?! Who does this?! Could I just land, and go buy a ticket home and say, Just Kidding!? Probably, but do I really want to? Do I really want to stay?? Sort of. I mean why not stay?

So, I go back to the basics.

Smiling. Smiling is always good. A smile is universal.

Take each step at a time. First get off the plane. Then immigration. Then baggage. Then ATM. Then transportation to hotel.

With each step it becomes a bit easier. I become a bit more confident, and I find myself feeling stronger. I am a bit out of my mind because of my complete and total exhaustion, but that is beside the point. I must and will get to that hotel, and then I can sleep. My exhaustion must have shown on my face. . .i must have looked like an easy target. . .I go and get money out of the ATM, and then a man comes up and asks where I am going. Hmmm. . .do I trust him?. . .he is little enough, I can take him if he tries anything. I am not so much worried about being violated or robbed--it is being taken advantage of that I hate. Paying way too much for something that every person in the “know” avoids. Well, being tired and alone, I tell him where to. He grabs my bag and says come with me (however, it was Korean. . .). . .Despite the possibilities of what he could've said, I follow because I have no choice at this point. We get to his taxi, and I get in. I ask how much. . .he says points to the counter, and I realize that it is cumulative. Okay. . .this shouldn’t be too bad.

Famous last words for a first timer.

The ticker starts going, and boy it just does not stop. I realize half way through the trip I hired a private car. I am actually in Incheon, which is a good distance from downtown Seoul. . .so, I end up paying $130 for a ride. Pretty steep and pretty stupid on my part, but I made it to the hotel. I check in, get to my room and all is good. I may have been foolish, but it was a mistake, and it is a mistake I can live with. . .now, when I get down to my last dime before my first paycheck, I will be cursing myself and that little ol' man. . . but for now, I can live with my stupidity. . .I do everyday in fact.

Upon getting to my room, I learn I will have a roommate. I can’t really complain because I am getting the room for free after all, plus it will be nice to hang out with someone in the same boat as me.

As far as roommates are concerned the fates smiled on me, and granted me a good hearted woman full of adventure. Her name is Katrina, and we just got done having one of the best first days in all my years of travel.

We got completely lost, laughed the entire time, and then finally conquered Seoul’s mass transit system. We discovered the Children’s Grand Park, which is extremely Grand! Full of monkeys, and penguins and botanical gardens, and it is equipped with its very own Fairyland, Parrot Village, and Dancing Fountain.

We also discovered that if you plan to where sandals you should bring a pair of socks so that you can eat in restaurants. Here, a lot of restaurants have floor seating, so you are required to remove your shoes. We found one restaurant that had both floor and chair seating, so we had a delicious bowl of soup. Katrina had dumplings and I had Special Beef Soup—the cow knee and dates make it special. It was tasty. . .full of textures I had never experienced before.

So far so good. Now, it is time to study for orientation tomorrow, eat some dinner and sleep.

Today's quote: "It may be possible to do without dancing entirely. Instances have been known of young people passing many, many months successively without being a any ball of any description, and no material injury accrue either to body or mind; but when a beginning is made--when felicities of rapid motion have once been, though slightly, felt--it must be a very heavy set that does not ask for more." --Jane Austen

1 comment: